The holidays may be a stressful time for any student with a tight budget. You’ll need to spend money buying gifts for your loved ones, travelling, attending and hosting parties among other things. All these activities are likely to leave your pockets dry. How about looking for ways to spend less and even earn some extra cash during the holidays? The following tips should help you get started.
- Set A Budget And Stick To It: Know how much you can spend during the holidays even before you set out to shop. Allocate a budget for gifts, travelling, parties and any other expense that is common at this time of the year. When setting your budget, don’t just pick random numbers, go over every aspect to make sure you are setting realistic figures. Compare what you spent last year to this year and make an informed decision. You may even want to cut back on expenses in the long term by looking for cheaper housing for YorkU students.
- Bake Something Special: Your friends and family are likely to enjoy your amazing homemade treats. Spend one evening preparing some cookies or bites for your visitors. No need to spend money visiting pricey restaurants when you can try out the cool recipe you saw online.
- Take Advantage Of Holiday Sales: If you really have to shop for Christmas gifts for your relatives or friends, holiday sales can help you save a lot of money. Shop online for discounted items. Make sure you compare the cost of the item offered by different retailers. Some retailers will only put the “sale” sign to lure customers even though the item is not truly discounted. You can also use coupon codes to save more money on your holiday shopping.
- Make Christmas Crafts And Handmade Gifts: Perhaps you may want to try making some cool necklaces using different materials that are readily available. The gift recipient will appreciate the fact that you took time to create something special rather than just rushing to the stores to get a present. One cool idea is to give your loved one a deck of cards with 52 reasons why you love or like him/her. The other idea that would work perfectly for couples is 12 letters which represent each month. Each letter can have some fun things to enjoy together within that month.
- Opt For Indoor Activities: One of the easiest ways to save money during the holidays is to minimize on outings. You can still enjoy bonding with your friends at the student residence near York University by looking for fun things to do. Consider watching a movie, baking together or making Christmas crafts. It’s easy to get into the trap of spending more than you could afford during the holidays. While you are in the Christmas spirit, remember that your wallet is at risk. Know how much you can stretch your budget at this time of the year and focus on having more fun without spending a lot.